The aim of the Faculty is to train a new generation of highly-qualified experts within the framework of the government program of personnel pool formation for the Russian intellectual establishment. It is assumed that the graduates (both bachelors and masters) gain knowledge and acquire top managers' skills that are in demand in both government institutions and commercial companies. A multidisciplinary approach to training is our trademark. The students acquire knowledge of various fields, incl. sociology and political science, on the one hand, and finance and economics, on the other hand. Experts in many fields are trained who can perform a comprehensive analysis of the processes that are going on; they are the professionals who have knowledge of political issues, social life, administration of government institutions, practical operations of Russian and overseas business companies, who are able to compare and incorporate the seemingly alien economic, social and political issues into one paradigm.
The Faculty of Sociology and Political Science offers bachelor and master degree programs in Political Science, Advertising and Public Relations, and Sociology. Upon completing the course, the students obtain a certificate of education formatted in accordance with the government standards.
The Faculty has the following specific features:
- Selectivity. The Faculty focuses on training a new generation of experts within the framework of the public personnel pool formation program. The Faculty graduates obtain knowledge and skills that are in demand in the government institutions and business companies. They are eligible to occupy top positions.
- Interdisciplinary approach. The Faculty is special as it trains experts who are capable of performing a comprehensive analysis of the current processes and can examine and incorporate economic, social and political issues into one paradigm.
- Relevance to modern times. The Faculty teaching staff uses modern teaching techniques and methodology to train highly-qualified and efficiently operating experts. During the period of study, the focus is on the use of the latest audiovisual technology and information technology.
- Applied learning. When training the students, the Faculty instructors focus on using the applied learning-based approach and the students maximally apply knowledge gained to real-world settings observed by a professional political scientist and sociologist. This is achieved by including various special courses and electives into the curriculum, organizing student practical training in government institutions, intelligence and PR departments of business companies, engaging the leading experts who can provide real world examples that back up the theoretical explanations in the learning process.
- Creativity and analysis. The learning process and research work are structured and designed in such a way that students do not reproduce the data learnt but examine the data critically, develop their own reasoned opinion and draw their own conclusions. The students should not transfer other people's views but become experts who are capable of using their own creativity independently and generate new knowledge. They should be able to think many moves ahead, to carefully and impartially weigh data they will use in their work, to be able to see the undercurrents in political, social and economic processes.
- Universal competences. The Faculty graduates obtain knowledge that allows them to become engaged in activities in various political, social, ideological and philosophical environments, understand the logic behind the government institutions' and business companies' operations, carefully examine the chances of finding a job on the labor market and use self-presentation skills during job interviews at the employers' companies.
The Faculty management engages Russian and overseas professors and the employers' representatives in the teaching process. The Faculty graduates can opt for pursuing an academic career. The bachelor degree holders have an opportunity to become enrolled to a master program, and master degree holders can become postgraduate training department students and defend their PhD thesis.
The Faculty graduates are eligible to become engaged in analytical, administrative and educational activities on the markets, in business companies (incl. intelligence and PR departments of companies of all form of ownership, GR firms), leading journals specializing in politics and business, image-making and consulting companies, research centers and government institutions.
- Aleksandr Shatilov - Dean of the Faculty, PhD (Political Sciences), Professor of the Department of Political Science
- Valery Fedorov - Scientific Adviser of the Faculty, PhD (Political Sciences), Professor, Director-general of the Russian Public Opinion Research Center
- Diana Muzashvili - Deputy Dean for Teaching and International Relations, PhD (Philosophy), Associate Professor of the Department of Sociology
- Andrei Troshin - Deputy Dean for Master Training and Career Guidance, PhD (Philosophy)
- Sergei Prosekov - Deputy Dean, PhD (Philosophy), Associate Professor of the Department of Sociology